Nazan Maksudyan, PhD
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Leibniz-Zentrum Moderner Orient (ZMO), Kirchweg 33, 14129 Berlin, Germany
Phone: + 49 30 80307000, e-mail:
| Education | Languages | Teaching Experience | Work Experience | Scholaships and Grants | Conferences, Workshops and Seminars | Publications |
Graduate (2003- January 2008):
History Graduate Program, Sabanci University, (PhD in History: 4,00); PhD Dissertation: “Hearing the Voiceless – Seeing the Invisible: Orphans and Destitute Children as Actors of Social, Economic, and Political History in Nineteenth-Century Ottoman Empire”
Institute of Social Sciences, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul (MA in Politics: 3,94);
MA Thesis: “Gauging Turkishness: Anthropology as Science-Fiction in Legitimizing Racist Nationalism (1925-1939)”
Boğaziçi University, Istanbul (BA in Political Science: 3,50)
Turkish (Native), English (Advanced), French (Advanced), German (Intermediate), Armenian (Intermediate), Ottoman Paleography (Advanced)
2009 Summer Term
Sabancı University, History Program;
HIST 425: The History of Childhood and Youth in Modern Europe and the Ottoman Empire
2008 Summer Term
Sabancı University, History Program;
HIST 424: Family, Childhood, and Gender in European and Ottoman History
2008 Spring Term
Boğaziçi University, Department of History;
HIST 48L: Family, Childhood, and Gender: Major Approaches to European Social History
October 2003 – January 2008:
Teaching Assistant, History Program, Sabancı University
October 2001 – June 2003:
Teaching and Research Assistant, Department of Political Science, Boğaziçi University
August 2008 – June 2009
AÇI High School, Consultant for High School History Curriculum Development Project
2006 – 2009:
Editor and Consultant for Social Science and History Books in Aras Publishing (Istanbul)
September 2006 – March 2007:
Researcher at École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (ÉHÉSS), Paris
June 2003 – June 2004:
Research Assistant for the Project, “Euroskepticism in Turkey: Doubts, Anxieties, and Fears of the Turkish Public Concerning Europe and the European Union”, conducted by Hakan Yılmaz
Scholaships and Grants
2010 - 2012: Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers (24 months), at Leibniz-Zentrum Moderner Orient (ZMO), Berlin
October 2009 - August 2010: Fellowship of 'Europe in the Middle East – The Middle East in Europe' (EUME) 2009/2010, a research program of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities, the Fritz Thyssen Foundation, and the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin.
2005 - 2007: Fellowships from TUBITAK for “Participation to Conferences and Workshops Abroad”.
September 2005 - September 2007: Fellowship within the scope of “Integrated PhD Program” from TUBITAK.
2003 - 2007: Full scholarship (tuition fee exemption, monthly stipend payment) in Sabanci University
2001 - 2003: Teaching and Research Assistant in Boğaziçi University
1995 - 1998: State Scholarship for Undergraduate Study
Conferences, Workshops and Seminars
- “Street Children as a Transgression in the New Bourgeois Urban Space: Expertise on Juvenile Delinquency, Public Order and Philanthropy in the Late Ottoman Empire”, Jeunesse et violence: Approches Socio-historiques, 27-28 Janvier 2011,Brussels.
- “An Interesting Discussion on the Conquest of Istanbul: Silvestre de Sacy and Translation of an Armenian Elegy”, Colloque International, Silvestre de Sacy (1758-1838): Le projet européen d’une science orientaliste, Institut du Monde Arabe / Ecole normale supérieure (Paris), 14-15-16 October 2010.
- “Erken Cumhuriyet Dönemi Kadın İntiharları ‘Epidemik’i ve Romancılara Biçilen Milliyetçi Vazife”, Milli Edebiyat Akımı Çerçevesinde Edebiyat ve Milliyetçilik İlişkisine Yeniden Bakmak, Boğaziçi Üniversitesi Türk Dili ve Edebiyat Bölümü, Alman Orient Enstitüsü, 24-25 Eylül 2010.
- Women and the City, Women in the City: A Gendered Perspective for Ottoman Urban History, 27 - 28 May 2010, Berlin, convened by Nazan Maksudyan
- “Documentation of 1909 Adana Massacres: A Comparative Study of Başbakanlık Osmanlı Arşivi and French Diplomatic Archives in Nantes”, The State of the Art of Armenian Genocide Research: Historiography, Sources, and Future Directions, Clark University, Worcester, 9-10 April 2010.
- “Street Children as a Transgression in the New Bourgeois Urban Space: Juvenile Delinquency, Public Order and Philanthropy in the Late Ottoman Empire”, Urban History Group Annual Conference, Collingwood College and the Science Site, University of Durham, 25 - 26 March 2010.
- “Before-and-After Photographs: American Missionaries, Re-fashioning of Bodies and Conversion in the Late Ottoman Period”, MESA, 21-24 November, 2009, Boston.“Heroes, Victims, Icons: Mass Mobilization and Ottoman Children during the First World War, 1914-1918”, Der Erste Weltkrieg auf dem Balkan: Neue Fragestellungen und Perspektiven, Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, 12-14 October, 2009, Vienna.
- “Physical Expressions of Winning Hearts and Minds: Missionary Aspirations over Children’s Bodies in the Late Ottoman Period”, Hrant Dink Memorial Workshop, May 21-24, 2009, Istanbul.
- “Adana 1909 and the Ottoman Orphanage: Resettlement of Relations Between the Armenians, State, and the Missionaries”, L’ivresse de la Liberté: La Révolution de 1908 dans l’Empire Ottoman, College de France , Paris, 5-7 June 2008.
- “Orphans as Actors in the Economic History of the Ottoman Empire: Industrial Orphanages , 1864-1908”, European Social Science History Conference 2008 (ESSHC), Lisbon, Portugal, 26 February – 1 March 2008.
- “Racial Aspects of Turkish Citizenship and Nationalism”, Citizenship Regime in Turkey and Problems of Political Participation, Yıldız Technical Univ., Istanbul, 23 November, 2007.
- “Ethnic Conflicts, Massacres, Wars, and Intricacies of Orphan Relief: Missionary Orphanages in the Ottoman Empire, 1894-96”, The Social and Cultural History of Children and Youth, SHCY 2007, Linköping University, Sweden, 27-30 June, 2007.
- “'Reform' in the Late Ottoman Urban Space: Industrial Orphanages”, Forgotten Children in the Middle East: The Orphaned and Abandoned, CUNY, Graduate Center, New York, 21 April 2007.
- “A Contested Terrain: Abandoned Children in the Nineteenth Century Ottoman Empire ”, Eight Mediterranean Social and Political Research Meeting, European University Institute, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Florence, 21–25 March 2007.
- “The Orphans of Adana 1909: A Cease-Fire Between the State and the Missionaries”, Séminaire État et Société de l’Empire Ottoman (XIXe-XXe siècle): Autour de 1908, ÉHÉSS, Paris, 15 February 2007.
- “Foster Child or Servant, Charity or Abuse: Beslemes in Nineteenth Century Ottoman Empire”, Third Global Conference, Sex and Sexuality: Exploring Critical Issues, organized by Interdisciplinary Net, Cracow, Poland, 29 November-2 December 2006.
- “Abandoned Children of the 19th Century Ottoman Empire”, 21st Middle East History and Theory Conference, University of Chicago, Chicago, 12-13 May 2006.
- Nazan Maksudyan, Listening to the Quiet, Noticing the Obscure: Orphans and Destitute Children in Late Ottoman History, Syracuse University Press, (forthcoming).
Books (in Turkish)
- Türklüğü Ölçmek: Bilimkurgusal Antropoloji ve Türk Milliyetçiliğinin Irkçı Çehresi, 1925-1939 [Measuring Turkishness: Science-Fictive Anthropology and Racist Face of Turkish Nationalism, 1925-1939], İstanbul: Metis, 2005; 2nd ed. 2007.
- “Orphans, Cities, and the State: Industrial Orphanages (Islâhhanes) and 'Reform' in the Late Ottoman Urban Space”, International Journal of Middle East Studies, vol. 43, no. 3, Fall 2011 (forthcoming). [SSCI]
- “State 'Parenthood' and Industrial Orphanages (Islâhhanes): Transformation of Urbanity and Family Life”, The History of the Family, vol. 16, no. 2, Spring 2011 (forthcoming). [SciVerse Scopus]
- “ 'Being Saved to Serve': Armenian Orphans of 1894-96 and Interested Relief in Missionary Orphanages”, Turcica, vol. 42, 2010, pp. 47-88.
- “Die bildliche Darstellung des missionarischen Erfolges”,Armenisch-Deutsche Korrespondenz, no. 148, 2010, pp. 50-52.
- “Walls of Silence: Translating the Armenian Genocide into Turkish and Self-Censorship”, Critique, vol. 37, no. 4, December 2009, pp. 635-649. [AHCI]
- “Guardians of Abandoned Children: Provisions for the Foundlings in Nineteenth-Century Ottoman Empire”, Journal of History of Childhood and Youth, vol. 2, no. 3, Fall 2009, pp. 361-392.
- “Fight over 'Nobody's Children': Religion, Nationality, and Citizenship of Foundlings in Nineteenth-Century Ottoman Empire”, New Perspectives on Turkey, vol. 41, Fall 2009, pp. 151-180. [SSCI]
- “Foster-Daughter or Servant, Charity or Abuse: Beslemes in the Late Ottoman Empire”, Journal of Historical Sociology, vol. 21, no. 4, December 2008, pp. 488-512. [SSCI]
- “The Turkish Review of Anthropology and the Racist Face of Turkish Nationalism”, Cultural Dynamics, vol. 17, no. 3, 2005, pp. 291-322.
Journal Articles (in Turkish)
- “Erken Cumhuriyet Döneminde Kadın İntiharları: Islah, İnkâr, İskât [Women Suicides in the Early Republican Era: Reform, Denial, Silencing], Toplumsal Tarih [Social History], no. 188, August 2009, pp. 60-66.
- “'Öldürmeden utan, ölmeden usan!': Geç Osmanlı İmparatorluğu'nda Savaş Karşıtı Hissiyatın Açık ve Örtük Dışavurumları” ['Be ashamed to kill, get tired of dying': Manifest and Latent Expressions of Anti-War Sentiments in the Late Ottoman Empire],Toplumsal Tarih [Social History], no. 180, December 2008, pp. 34-41.
- “Cemal Bey'in Adana Valiliği ve Osmanlıcılık İdeali” [Cemal Bey's Adana Governorship and the Ideal of Ottomanism], Toplumsal Tarih [Social History], no. 176, August 2008, pp. 22-28.
- “Türklüğün Hazineleri ve Mimar Sinan: Kafatasları, Kemikler, Mezarlıklar” [Treasures of Turkishness and Sinan the Architect: Skulls, Bones, Cemeteries], Arredamento, no. 202, May 2007, pp. 60-63.
- “Bir Sözlükten Büyülenmek: Sir James W. Redhouse Üzerine”[A Fascinating Dictionary: On James W. Redhouse], Toplumsal Tarih [Social History], no. 158, February 2007, pp. 34-39.
- “Resmi Din – Sivil Din Çatışması: Dinin Meşru Kullanımı Üzerinde Devlet Tekeli” [Tension Between State vs. Civil Islam: State Monopoly over the Legitimate Use of Religion], Toplumsal Tarih [Social History], no. 135, March 2005, pp. 56-61.
Chapters in Books
- “Street Children as a Transgression in the New Bourgeois Urban Space: Expertise on Juvenile Delinquency, Public Order and Philanthropy in the Late Ottoman Empire”, in Expertise and Juvenile Violence, 19th-21st century, Aurore François, Veerle Massin and David Niget (eds.), Louvain: Presses Universitaires de Louvain, 2011, pp. 21-39.
- “Helden, Opfer, Ikonen: Massenmobilisierung und osmanische Kinder während des Ersten Weltkriegs”, in Der Erste Weltkrieg auf dem Balkan,Jürgen Angelow (ed.), Berlin: Be.bra Verlag, 2011, pp. 161-173.
- “Servants”, in An Encyclopedia of Infanticide, Brigitte Bechtold and Donna Cooper Graves (eds.), Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, 2010, pp. 232-235.
- “« Missions 2 »: les « missions » occidentales dans l'Empire ottoman, de 1800 à 1918 », Dictionnaire de l'Empire Ottoman, Nicolas Vatin, Gilles Veinstein, François Georgeon (eds.), Paris: Éditions Fayard, (forthcoming).
- “The 1909 Adana Massacres and the Ottoman Orphanage (Dârü'l-Eytâm-ı Osmânî): Controversy over Religion, Language and Education”, in Adana 1909: History, Memory, and Identity from a Hundred Year Perspective, London: Gomidas Institute, 2010 (forthcoming).
- “Armenia”, in Encyclopedia of Play in Today's Society, Carlisle, Rodney P. (ed.), Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2009, pp. 38-39.
Chapters in Books (in Turkish)
- “On Dokuzuncu Yüzyılda Osmanlı Kadın Örgütleri ve Siyasi Eylemlilik”, in İstanbul Kadın-Kadın İstanbul: Osmanlı Döneminde İstanbul'da Kadın Hareketleri, Fatma Türe (ed.), İstanbul: Kadın Eserleri Kütüphanesi, 2010 (forthcoming).
- “Sessizlik Duvarları: ‘Ermeni Sorunu’ Bağlamında Çeviri ve Otosansür” [Walls of Silence: ‘Armenian Question, Translation and Self-Censorship], in Türkiye’de İfade Özgürlüğü [Freedom of Expression in Turkey], Taner Koçak, Taylan Doğan, Zeynep Kutluata (eds.), İstanbul: BGST Yayınları, 2009, pp. 256-271.
- “Merzifon Anadolu Koleji'nin Kısa Tarihçesi ve Boğos Piranyan” [Short History of American College of Merzifon and Boğos Piranyan], in Aşçının Kitabı: Merzifon Amerikan Anadolu Koleji Aşçısı 1914, [The Book of the Cook: From the Cook of the American College of Merzifon, 1914], Boğos Piranyan, Istanbul: Aras Yayıncılık, June 2008, pp. 133-178.
Book Review Articles
- “Kidnapped Souls: National Indifference and the Battle for Children in the Bohemian Lands, 1900–1948”, by Tara Zahra, (book review), Canadian Journal of History, Vol. 45, No. 2, Autumn 2010, pp. 391-393.
- “Sous le Signe des Réformes: État et Société, de l’Empire Ottoman à la Turquie Kémaliste (1789-1939)”, by François Georgeon, (book review), New Perspectives on Turkey, vol. 42, Spring 2010, pp. 265-268. [SSCI]
- “Subalterns and Social Protest: History from Below in the Middle East and North Africa”, by Stephanie Cronin (ed.), (book review), International Journal of Middle East Studies, vol. 42, no.2, May 2010, pp. 336-338. [SSCI]
- “Cumhuriyet'te Çocuktular” [They were Children in the Republic], by Mine Göğüş Tan, Özlem Şahin, Mustafa Sever, Aksu Bora (eds.), (book review), Journal of History of Childhood and Youth, vol. 1, no. 3, Fall 2008, pp. 472-474.
- “Enfance et Jeunesse dans le Monde Musulman / Childhood and Youth in the Muslim World”, by François Georgeon, Klaus Kreiser (eds.), (book review)”, New Perspectives on Turkey, vol. 38, Spring 2008, pp. 275-79. [SSCI]