as a researcher | as a trainee
All of ZMO’s vacancies are announced on the institute’s homepage and in its monthly online newsletter. Please sign-up to the newsletter at
. We kindly ask you to refrain from unsolicited applications.
The following research schemes are available at ZMO:
- ZMO Visiting Research Fellowship: Duration of up to approx. 2 months, via call
- ZMO Guest Researcher: Duration of up to 2 months, by invitation only
- Associated Senior Researcher: Researchers with third party funding can become associates of ZMO for an extended period of months or years. The research application is the responsibility of the researcher, but requires prior approval from the directorate of ZMO. Applications will undergo an internal selection process. Successful applicants will receive a formal invitation and acceptance letter.
In the past ZMO has successfully partnered with the following institutions:
In case of further questions on association, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please send a cover letter, project outline and CV at least six weeks prior to the intended submission date.
For enquiries, please contact Dr. Stefan Kirmse, Research Coordinator of ZMO:
Work placements at Leibniz-Zentrum Moderner Orient (ZMO)
There are two kinds of work placements at ZMO:
- In public relations or the library:
- Qualifications: Advanced German and English language skills
- In one of the research areas:
There are four research areas (ideas of progress, politics of resources, trajectories of lives and knowledge, and cities) at ZMO. If you are interested in a work placement in one of these areas, please check their “programmatic texts” and “working papers” on our website: [Link]. Explain in your application in which research area you are particularly interested.
- Advanced English language skills
- Language skills in at least one language relevant for the research area you are interested in
As a trainee at ZMO, you will be assigned a mentor. To be able to offer you such mentoring, we need your application at least six weeks before the start of your work placement. If your work placement is obligatory (for example, as part of a particular course of study), we can offer you a part-time placement. Otherwise, the duration is between two and three months.
It is not possible for ZMO to remunerate work placements.
For further questions, please contact the research coordinator of the ZMO, Dr. Stefan B. Kirmse: