- New stock
- Library section of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR
- Fritz and Gertraud Steppat donation
- Prof. Dr. Gerhard Höpp estate
- Dr. Horst Krüger estate
- Dr. Jürgen Herzog estate
- Dr. Petra and Joachim Heidrich estate
- Dr. habil. Peter Sebald and Prof. Trutz von Trotha estate
- Prof. Dr. Werner Ende donation
- Dr. Harald Vocke estate
- Dr. Rudolf Schmidt estate
- Wolfgang Zielke donation
- Microfilms and microfiches
The library at the Centre for Modern Oriental Studies was founded in 1992. It is closely linked to the Centre's research programme and currently holds approx. 85000 volumes and about 59 periodicals. Envisaged as an academic research library to accommodate the Centre’s key areas of research, it focuses on procuring new publications in the field of ethnology and political science dealing with countries in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. Special emphasis is given to relevance and rapid procurement, as well as to publications from the countries concerned. In January 2020, new library stocks comprised 37504 volumes.
Apart from this regular stock, further valuable sources and rare books are contained in the deposit library section of the Academy of Sciences of the German Democratic Republic, and in the collections of Fritz and Gertraud Steppat, African historian Jürgen Herzog, Middle East historian Gerhard Höpp, and Indologist Horst Krüger, all of which were donated to the Centre. The mentioned collections have been acquired in the online catalogue.
Two of the specialised collections mainly affected the library stock. Approx. 10 000 monographs and 297 journals connected with Middle Eastern studies from the German and General History library section of the former Academy of Sciences of the German Democratic Republic were first of all taken over on a long-term loan. The library then received a further significant addition, the Fritz and Gertraud Steppat gift, a specialised Middle Eastern studies collection with an estimated 10 000 volumes comprising monographs and journals.
The ZMO library also inherited manuscripts from the library section of the former Academy of Sciences of the GDR. Some of these are in Arabic, amongst others one on Islamic law:
ﻣﹸﺤﹶﻤﱠﺪﹲ ﻋﹶﻼﹶﺀﹸ ﺁﻟﹾﺪﱢﻳﻦﹺ ﺑﹾﻦﹺ ﻋﹶﻠﹺﻲﱢ ﺁﻟﹾﺤﹶﺴﹾﻜﹶﻔﹺﻲﱢ ﺁﻟﹾﺤﹶﻨﹶﻔﹺﻲﱢ
ﺁﻟﹾﻌﹶﺒﱠﺎﺴﹺﻲﱢ : ﺧﹸﻼﹶﺻﹶﺔﹸ ﺁﻟﹾﻔﹸﺮﹸﻭﻉﹺ
Muḥammad ʿAlāʾ-ad-Dīn Ibn-ʿAlī al-Ḥaskafī al-Ḥanafī al-ʿAbbāsī : Ḫulāṣat al-furūʿ
The work was composed in 1071 hiǧrī (1660 AD) and has the shelf mark 83/731. In addition to this identification see the colophon.
The new stock of journals includes 292 titles which are registered in the online catalogue and in the nationwide journal databank (ZDB). In addition to the current subscriptions to printed journals, the library also purchases numerous electronic journals, contains over 7672 microfiches, 556 microfilms, and some video tapes respectively DVDs.
The library provides all volumes of the journal ﺍﻟﻣﻨهل [al-Manhal] (donated by the King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies) from 1937 to 1965 and all issues of the daily newspaper ﺍﻟﺤﻴﺎﺓ [al-Ḥayāt] (Great Britain) from July 2002 to the edition of 23. Feb. 2009. It also contains backcopies of ﺍﻟﺟﺰﻳﺮﺓ [al-Ǧazīra] (Saudi Arabia) from 1984-2003, of ﺍﻻﻫﺮﺍﻡ [al-Ahrām] (Egypt) from March 1986 up to June 1997, of ﺍﻟﺜﻮﺭﺓ [aṯ-Ṯaura] (Iraq) 1977-1990 incomplete, of ﺍﻟﻘﺒﺲ [al-Qabas] (Kuwait) 1988-1990 incomplete, of ﺍﻟﺮﻳﺎﺽ [ar-Riyāḍ] (Saudi Arabia) November 1995 and February/March 1999, of ﺍﻟﻮﻃﻦ [al-Waṭan] (Saudi Arabia) July/August 2001, of ﺍﻟﺸﺮﻕ ﺍﻻﻭﺳﻄ [aš-Šarq al-ausaṭ] (Great Britain) October/November 1993, of The Jerusalem Post (U.S.A.) 1980-1981 incomplete.